Why I've started to receive spam or lists of email addresses?
Problems of spam usual users begin to face at the moment when his/her email address gets to the spammers’ database. There are many different ways in which spammers get emails addresses. Some of them are:
• Your email address has been posted on a public website, for example, on the forum, in the classifieds, on social networks, chats, comments, on your personal webpage etc. Your email could be posted by any of your friends or acquaintances. Spammers do use special programs – robots to automatic website scan and gather huge databases of email addresses, which may be used for the further spam sending. Some companies only gather addresses and then sell them.
• You are the client of a company or have been registered on a website where the database of users (clients) has been stolen or even sold to spammers by employees of the company.
• For e-mail gathering vulnerabilities in various versions of widespread software are used. Without the consent of the user the harmful program (backdoor) can be installed on the computer. Afterwards the remote access for malefactors is established. Such programs basically are distributed through often visited websites.
• Registration on doubtful websites also increases probability of spam reception.
• You casually have received a spam letter, replied to it or followed the provided URL to “unsubscribe”. These actions have confirmed your e-mail address as active in the spammers’ database.
If you were unable to find answer for your question, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org